5 Tips to Avoid Pet Food Poisoning Over The Holiday Season
The holidays are a time for us to create happy memories with our pets. However, the festive period is also when many pet owners encounter problems and vet centers treat a high volume of emergencies.
Many pet owners unknowingly expose their pets to numerous food, toy and environmental hazards during the holidays. Here are five ways to avoid an emergency trip to the veterinarian's office by making sure you stay within your pet's health limits while celebrating this season.
Avoid Giving Your Pet Table Food.
Table food is usually seasoned with herbs and spices. Some of these herbs are toxic to our furry friends. Sometimes your pet may vomit, and you may wonder what it ate. A high chance is that your pet consumed table food rich in spices, fats and other irritants.
For instance, garlic, onions, and chives can make your pet sick. These herbs make pets vomit, have diarrhea, and experience abdominal pain. Without identifying the cause of these symptoms, your pet may be unwell for the entire holiday from eating table food.
To avoid this eventuality, prepare a diet for your pet during the holiday to keep them well-fed and prevent accidents due to consuming table scraps.
Inform Family And Friends About Toxic Foods For Pets
Holidays are a great time to get the whole family together, but with so many different people feeding your pets, it's important to let everyone know which foods can be harmful. There are many foods that can be harmful to your pets, including:
- Bones, including chicken bones, turkey wings and rib bones. These can splinter and cause pain or even obstructions.
- Chocolate, especially dark chocolate and baking chocolate. It contains theobromine which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity and seizures in dogs.
- Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs because they contain a compound that causes kidney failure.
- Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, hyperthermia, and tremors.
Use Pet-Friendly Décor
Dogs and cats love to play around with décor. Some of these objects, such as tinsel, can be consumed, causing blockages in their digestive system. Your pet may start to look dull and sickly for the entire holiday. Also, Leaving the Christmas light cables on the floor could cause gum and tongue lacerations when your pet chews on the cables.
You can keep your pet safe by making sure that it does not have access to dangling tinsel or other objects. You should also ensure that any electrical cables are out of reach to avoid electrocution if the pet were to bite them. Lastly, be careful where you place glass balls and decorations. Pets may try to knock these over on their own
Proper Storage Of Pet Food
Store pet food properly to avoid food poisoning. Feed your pets a high-quality brand of food, and store it in an airtight container in a cool and dry place. Do not leave dog or cat food out all day long on the countertop, where it can be exposed to heat.
This Holiday Season, Let Rye Hill Veterinary Clinic Take Care Of Your Pet!
Rye Hill Veterinary Clinic recognizes the value of long-term connections and is home to many loyal customers and employees. When you enter our clinic, you'll be greeted by a friendly and familiar face. You will feel appreciated and cared for during your time at our office due to our excellent customer service and patient care this festive season. Call us at 479-551-5169 if you are concerned about something your pet ingested.
By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://veterinarianfortsmithar.com/